New Jersey Task Force One (NJ-TF1) – The State’s Urban Search & Rescue Team
New Jersey Task Force One is the State’s Urban Search and Rescue Team. They operate under the auspices of the New Jersey State Police (NJSP) & New Jersey Office of Emergency Management (NJOEM). They are comprised of technical search & rescue specialists who are at the top of their game from both the public and private sectors. All training conforms to FEMA US&R System and NFPA 1670 and 1006 standards.
NJ-TF1 was established in 1996 to address a Technical Rescue void in our State’s emergency response plan. The team currently resides within the Division of State Police, Homeland Security Branch, Emergency Management Section, Emergency Response Bureau, USAR Unit.
Since its inception, NJ-TF1 has responded to many structural collapse incidents and natural disaster events. Some include the NYC World Trade Center attacks, the Atlantic City parking garage collapse, the ’04 Warren County flood/swift water rescue events, the Eatontown commercial building gas explosion, Hurricane Katrina, the Southampton trench resue, the Passaic County floods, the Hackensack collapse, Hurricane Irene and Superstorm Sandy. In addition to operational deployments, NJ-TF1 participated in the TOPOFF 3 Exercise in New London, CT. NJ-TF1 has also been requested to provide Technical Rescue equipment and assistance during the 2000 Republican National Convention in Philadelphia, PA and the Democratic National Convention in NYC.
How They Operate
The team is divided into six distinct components, Search, Rescue, Planning, Logistics, HazMat, and Medical. All components train regularly in their respective discipline at the NJ-TF1 Training Facility in Lakehurst, NJ.
What They Provide
- Incident Advance Team to assist the Incident Commander in assessment and technical support.
- 100,000 pounds of state-of-the-art search and rescue equipment.
- Self-Sufficiency for the first 72 hours with base camp, supplies and communications in order not to impact local resources.
- Deployment up to 10 days with a 80 member task force.
- Modular or full deployment depending on Incident Commander’s needs
- Over 210 members with expertise in the following disciplines:
- Structural Collapse
- Confined Space/Trench Rescue
- High Angle/Rope Rescue
- Flood/Swift Water Rescue
- K9 & Technical Search
- Structural Engineering
- Technical Information
- Heavy Rigging
- Logistics & Communications
- Incident Accountability & Planning
- Medical Triage & Treatment
How To Activate NJ-TF1
To request NJ-TF1 during an emergency, call the Regional Operations Intelligence Center (ROIC) at 609-963-6900
Want more information? Check out this informational video to see the incredible work NJ-TF1 performs: https://youtu.be/8YoxqNS2vN4
To obtain an application package or additional information on NJ-TF1 call 732-657-7001 or visit: http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/taskforce1