NEW JERSEY STATE EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTER
August 27th, 2011, 0600 hours
A. CURRENT SYNOPSIS:
The NJROIC and NJOEM are monitoring the progress of Hurricane Irene in
coordination with the National Weather Service. At 0600 hours on 8/26/11 the NJROIC
operational level increased to Level III and at 1200 hrs on 8/26/11 was raised to a Level
IV . The Governor declared a Statewide State of Emergency on 8/25/11.
The SEOC , Support Room and allied agencies are in the process of coordinating
Sheltering efforts, Resource requests, EMAC requests and Evacuation efforts
throughout the State during this event. The primary focus for Atlantic County’s
evacuees is on the Sun Trust Bank Reception Center. There are
approximately 1300 Evacuees currently transitioning from the Sun Trust Bank Reception Center to other state shelters.
No Incidents at this time.
• Cape May County has ordered a mandatory evacuation of County residents at
0800 hours on 8/26/2011.
• Atlantic County ordered a mandatory evacuations of flood prone areas starting
0600 hours on 08/26/11.
• Ocean County – Long Beach Island ordered mandatory evacuations effective
0800 hours on 8/26/11, and Berkeley Township ordered voluntary evacuations at
0800 hours 8/26/11.
• Atlantic County OEM will be evacuated 7,500 people from
at 600 hours on 8/26/2011.
Atlantic County OEM will be utilizing local shelters for evacuees.
The following shelters are currently open:
• Ocean County – Southern Regional High School 90 Cedar Bridge Rd.
Manahawkin, NJ – PET FRIENDLY
• Ocean County – Poland Spring Arena – 1245 Freehold Road Toms River, NJ
• Atlantic County – St. Augustine Prep 611 Cedar Ave. 08350 Richland, NJ
– PET FRIENDLY
• Cape May County – Woodbine Developmental Center – 1175 Dehirsh Ave,
• Gloucester County – Rowan University (Student Center) – 201 Mullica Hill Rd.
Glassboro, NJ 08028.
• Salem County – Salem County Comm. College – 460 Hollywood Ave. Penns
Grove, NJ 08069.
• Monmouth County – Wall Twp. High School 18th/New Bedford Ave. Wall, NJ
07719 – CAN NOT ACCOMMODATE PETS
• Monmouth County – Holmdel High School – 4 Crawfords Corner Rd. Holmdel, NJ
07733 – CAN NOT ACCOMMODATE PETS
• Monmouth County – Colts Neck High School – 59 Five Points Rd. Colts Neck, NJ
07722. – CAN NOT ACCOMMODATE PETS
(to open at 0800 hours on 8/27/11)
• Mercer County – Sun Trust Bank Center is being used as a Reception Center for
evacuees. The Salvation Army has provided food and water to the evacuees.
Currently, Trenton EMS has dispatched BLS units to assist with Medical issues
until the Mercer County Medical Reserve Corps deploys at 0600 on 8-27-2011.
E. RESOURCES DEPLOYED/REQUESTED
• EMS Task Force has deployed 21 BLS Units in Atlantic County @ 0600 hours on
• Atlantic County using VMS Boards on the Garden State Parkway mile marker 0 through 63 advising of the evacuations.
• Atlantic County using 20 NJ Transit buses to transport 7500 evacuees from Atlantic City to various shelters.
• The SEOC is fully staffed with representatives from appropriate State agencies
• Governor Christie has announced the Garden State Parkway will stop all
southbound traffic at exit 98 at 2000 hours on 8/26/11
• NJDEP will be closing all State Parks and Marinas effective 1800 hours on
• NJDEP will be closing all Shellfish Beds effective 1930 hours on 8/27/11
• NJDEP opened the Pompton Lakes flood gates at 1400 hours today, DEP dam
safety personnel will be on-site for this operation. The released water will remain
within the river banks.
• At 1600 hours Troop “A” Command Post opened for the Route 72 and Routes
347/47 Contraflow. At 1800 hours both Contraflow plans are scheduled to commence. At 1800 hours all eastbound traffic on the Atlantic City Expressway will be diverted to alternate routes at the Pleasantville Toll.
• At 1200 hours on 8/27/11 NJ Transit will cease all train operations until further
• At 1200 hours on 8/27/11 NY Metro and PATH trains will cease operations until
• On 8/27/11 at 1800 hours the DeLanco Bridge located in Burlington County will
be closed until 0600 hours 8/29/11
• NJ Transit is transporting evacuees from the Richard Stockton College to the
Sun Trust Bank Reception center in Trenton.
• NJOEM Field Reps are on-site at the Sun Trust Bank Reception Center to assist
in the coordination of transferring the evacuees to various locations throughout
the State beginning in the early hours of the morning.
• Cape May County issued a County Wide State of Emergency.
• Gloucester County issued a County Wide State of Emergency.
• Burlington County – Washington Twp. issued a State of Emergency.
• Monmouth County issued a County Wide State of Emergency at 1400 hours on
• Somerset County issued a County Wide State of Emergency at 1400 hours on
• Hunterdon County – Stockton Borough Proclamation for Local Disaster 2100
• Ocean County – Berkeley Township – Proclamation of Emergency Evacuation.
G. ROAD CLOSURES AND DIVERSIONS
• Atlantic County OEM requests traffic diversions for Route 30/Shore Road to be in
effect for 1400 hours 8/26/2011.
• At 1800 hours Routes 72 (causeway from LBI through mainland), and 347 and
47 (Cape May County) North bound traffic only, South bound lanes closed.
• As of 2000 hrs the Garden State Parkway is closed to Southbound traffic from
Exit 98 south.
• At 2145 Rt. 40 EB at Franklin Ave and the ACE EB is closed going to Atlantic