SITUATION REPORT # 5
NEW JERSEY STATE EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTER
August 26th, 2011, 1000 hours
The NJROIC and NJOEM are monitoring the progress of Hurricane Irene in coordination with the
National Weather Service. At 1500 hours on 8/25/11 the NJROIC operational level increased to
Level II and at 0600 hrs on 8/26/11 was raised to a Level III . The Governor declared a Statewide
State of Emergency on 8/25/11.
No Incidents at this time.
• Cape May County has ordered a mandatory evacuation of County residents at 0800 hours
• Atlantic County ordered a mandatory evacuations of flood prone areas starting 0600 hours
• Ocean County – Long Beach Island ordered mandatory evacuations effective 0800 hours on
8/26/11, and Berkeley Township ordered voluntary evacuations at 0800 hours 8/26/11.
• Atlantic County OEM will be utilizing local shelters for evacuees.
• Rowan University (Gloucester County), IZOD Center (Bergen County), and the Sun Bank
Arena (Mercer County), have been identified as potential additional shelter locations for
• Arrangements are currently underway to open shelters in Cumberland County due to
the mandatory evacuation of Cape May residents.
The SEOC is fully staffed with representatives from appropriate State agencies and departments.
• Cape May County has issued a County Wide State of Emergency.
No road closures at this time.
• Atlantic County OEM requests traffic diversions for Route 30/Shore Road to be in effect
for 1400 hours 8/26/2011.
• At 1800 hours Contraflow will be initiated for Routes 72 (causeway from LBI
through mainland), and 347 and 47 (Cape May County)